May 27, 2024

Pathfinder News

redefining news

Minister Speaks On Alleged Plan To Sack Workers

The minister of finance, budget and national planning, Zainab Ahmed has said there is no plan by the federal government to lay off government workers. The minister, who said this on national television programme denied claims that the government was planning on sacking workers in order to save funds. She said President Muhammadu Buhari had said repeatedly that no worker would be sacked.

Nevertheless, Ahmed said the government would encourage people to leave government jobs by giving them incentives. She added that the government would reduce overheads by ensuring that government agencies are merged. She said: “Mr President doesn’t want to disengage staff. That is what he has directed from the beginning of his administration. He also directed that we pay salaries. The Federal Government has never failed in paying salaries and he said we must always pay pensions.

“So, he has been consistent in those directives and we have followed those directives to the letter.” Earlier it had been reported that there was anxiety in the Federal Civil Service following the federal government’s alleged unfolding of the plans to reduce the size of the work force. The report stated that the government was working out an exit package for workers that would be affected. It was gathered that the move caused disquiet as Labour described the plan to sack workers as a reversal of the much advertised federal government’s employment drive.