South Sudanese security forces on Monday morning withdrew from First Vice-President Riek Machar’s residence in the capital, Juba, his office has said.
Mr Machar reported to his office on Monday and was working normally, according to his press secretary Puok Both Baluang. The security forces had been deployed to Mr Machar’s residence on Saturday evening.
The vice-president’s office is later expected to issue a press statement on the matter.
Security officers cordoned off Mr Machar’s house after he had issued a press statement rejecting President Salva Kiir’s directive on the formation of a national army – a key pillar of a peace deal the pair signed in 2018.
Mr Machar had accused President Kiir of not equally sharing out positions in the military and the police force as stipulated in the peace deal.
“The unilateral decision by President Kiir is a violation of the revitalised peace agreement and is a clear rejection of the ongoing mediation process,” he said. President Kiir’s office has not commented on the matter.